Sunday, July 8, 2012

The world is so big!

It has been a struggle to find Internet access so this will be short. After such a long flight I am finally here! The first time stepping out of my hotel was a taste of the struggles I will have here avoiding beggars and rickshaw drivers from hassling me. I had anticipated this, however nothing is like experiencing the effects of poverty in this country.
We toured Old and New Delhi today. Old Delhi has the oldest mosque in India called Jama Masjid witch was amazing. We took a cycle rickshaw around Chandni Chowk where the poverty was heartbreaking to see. The electrical wires were dangling all over and the old British buildings built in the 1800s were crumbling apart. People were still living in the buildings with missing walls and ceilings. This was insane to see how people can live here.
We went to Raj Ghat to see Mahatma Ghandi's cremation site and Humayun's Tomb which was breathtaking! How did people build such amazing monuments so long ago? Sri Lakshim Narain Temple was a gorgeous Hindu temple we went to. It was interesting to see many gods behind windows dressed in lavish dresses. People bring offerings of flowers and coconut as they pray and touch the feet of each statue in prayer. This view of Hinduism was important to pair with all of the reading I have been doing. Watching first hand what their religious practices were was an amazing learning experience!
We went to the president's house, parliament, and India gate as well as bazaars. The food has been incredible! I am trying anything and everything anyone suggests. :) I have also made a few friends that I may be able to practice Hindi with. :) John a rickshaw driver and Shehzad the tea house manager.
Today I venture into Connaught place to shop for local clothing. I'm preparing for this to be insanely busy and overwhelming. Hopefully I can learn how to haggle correctly. Haha
More to come when I have Internet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment