Sunday, July 22, 2012

Transportation Issues

It has been quite a feat to try to get to and from my school every day because of the lack of information available in this city. There are barely any road signs and there is no information about the bus system. In general there are three common methods to travel: rickshsaw, bus and metro.

Rickshaw is by far the easiest, but still hard to deal with. First you have to find one. They must know of where you want to go and charge a reasonable price. They always charge white women more. It is nearly impossible even without rush hour in full swing to find these standards. Lots of times the driver will scam you and drop you some where completely wrong and you get to wander around lost for a while. This has happened to me. They will also tell you they know your destination but they are lying.

The second option is the bus. There is no guide to which numbers head to which stations, so you get to ask a bunch of people if they know. I was sent on a wild goose chase for three hours doing this. I got sent to 2 stations and got on a bus which took me to the airport. I had to get another bus back. These busses are extremely packed as well. People have to fight to get in and people are packed like sardines in this hot sweaty weather. Women also get to enjoy a lovely trip full of groping. I'm not sure I want to take the bus again, even though it may be cheaper.

The last way is the metro. I have only taken it once because it is a 2 km walk from my apartment. When I did ride, it was also insanely packed.

I have given up. I just want to rent a camel for the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment