Monday, July 30, 2012

The Ones Who Make a Difference



I finally know what my project is! I have been struggling over the last few weeks to find something that I could write my ethnography on until we visited SunEnterprises.
This NGO was founded by an incredible man, Kuku, who has essentially adopted 160 kids from the slums. This organization started when he had his son and began comparing his son to the kids begging on the streets. His son had a chance in this world, when the beggar kids would only ever know a life filled with drunken fathers, beaten mothers, and no opportunity. A particular 2 year old girl pulled at his heart. Her name was Roshni which means 'light' in Hindi. She was born without an arm which gave her father an excuse to send her to beg. Everyday Kuku gave her something on his way to work until one day she wasn't there. When searching for her, he found that Roshni's father was sending his 2 yr old daughter across town to beg at a new cinema complex. Infuriated Kuku went to her father and told him that he would take care of Roshni and get her into school to get her off the streets. The father refused his offer saying 'What good is that to me. When she begs I get all the money she brings back. I get nothing if she goes to school.' it wasn't until Kuku offered to take care of his two older sons and send them to school as well that the father agreed.
Somehow Kuku's act of goodwill turned into this NGO that supports 160 kids by feeding, clothing, bathing, and sending them to school. These kids now have a chance in this world! Their intelligence would have been lost in the slums if they weren't given a chance. It has been a challenge for Kuku. He has had to pay bribes to the inspector and landlord as well as the school principals. Society doesn't want people from the slums to be educated because more money can be made off of the poor by people who hold power. On top of the bribes, parents aren't so eager for education either. Fathers who drink miss the money their children made to buy them booze. They are always threatening Kuku for taking their children away and sadly don't see the amazing opportunity he has given to the kids.

We got to go talk to the kids and pass out candy. :) I was having a hard time not crying when I saw how bright and sweet the children were. Some of the older children knew French, English, and German. They were so proud to show me their notebooks. Any time I complemented their name or clothing, they beamed with pride. One little girl was an amazing artist. She drew so many animals in her notebook. :) it's was truly incredible to see such a transformation in these children who were once wasted souls in the streets.
I hope to be visiting again to visit the kids and interview Kuku. I want to find out why the government is absolutely no help in situations dealing with the poverty of this country. I want to know why NPOs and NGOs are so rare and how hard it is to start one without any help from the government. Im not sure how many answers I will get, but it disgusts me to know that India has so much money to its name and blatantly ignores the economic issues that are swallowing the country. It's is really great to know that there are people out there that are making a difference on their own like Kuku and Sangeea. They give me inspiration to somehow try to make a difference in this world myself.

Check out this amazing work on  facebook https://www.facebook.com/sunshineprojectnewdelhi/info?v=info or this website! http://www.sunshineproject-delhi.org/
There should be links for donations if you like. No pressure, I just think this amazing work needs to be shared and supported. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment