Friday, July 13, 2012

Animal in a Zoo

Six hours on a train and I am now in Amritsar. This hotel has French fries! We went to the boarder of Pakistan for the Border Exchange Ceremony. This ceremony was the best thing for a cultural anthropologist to experience! The crowd is so patriotic. Music was playing and flags were waving. Everyone was chanting and shouting. Women were running flags back and forth in the street and dancing. They saw me dancing in the crowd and pulled me out in the street with them. It was so much fun! They were all teaching me their moves, and having me dance with their children. They were all grabbing my hands to dance and taking pictures with me. A lot of the people think I'm British with my white skin here, and say 'ello'.
The guards for the ceremony have to be selected all over the country, because they have to be 6"7 minimum. They were huge and marched with big swinging arms kicking their legs up to their foreheads. The ceremony was short. The gates opened and the flags of both countries were crossed in peace and lowered as the sun set. They do this to keep the peace for Indian goods to be exported to Pakistan. Otherwise the countries are enemies.

The Golden Temple here was breath taking! It is surrounded by holy water and people singing from the holy book is heard throughout the place. This Sikh temple is much larger than the one I visited in Delhi. Here they feed around 400 thousand people daily. They force people from any gender, religion, caste, and status to eat together. People were bathing in the holy water with the koi fish. The was a story on the wall about a woman who carried her crippled husband in a basket on her head to the holy water. He supposedly turned into a handsome healthy man from the waters touch.
There were absolutely no white people here. I felt like an animal in a zoo! People were staring and taking pictures the whole day. I just smiled and waved.
The Jallianwala Bagh Memorial was not much to see, but sad nonetheless. 1500-2000 innocent people, who were peacefully meeting here, we're brutally slaughtered by the British army. There were still bullet holes in the buildings and 250 bodies buried in a well as they were trying to escape the open fire. I don't understand why the Indians still have so much respect for the British, after hearing stories like this.
Our poor guide had a very broken nose that made it hard to breathe. He was also walking with a limp which made me believe he had been beaten. I wonder what happened. He is a very kind, peaceful Sikh man. He was explaining the reasons for different turbans and how some people wear beard straps to prevent their beard from blowing around. It was cool to learn more about this religion from him.

1 comment: