Monday, July 9, 2012

Con Artists

Before I leave by train to Agra this morning I wanted to update. Shopping was wildly unsuccessful. Our rickshaw driver refused to take us to the actual market because 'the quality was bad'. Instead he took us to tourist shops where the atmosphere was very high pressure and the shopkeepers followed us everywhere. I realize because of our white skin people assume we are rich and they show is silk saris and Kashmir rugs that cost a fortune. No one takes no for an answer, they can't seem to understand that I can't afford their merchandise. I did manage to haggle on three shirts and a punjabi suit. I believe that John was taking us places that he was getting paid off for taking us.
John the rickshaw driver took us to the Sikh temple, which was incredible. The place was white with gold tops and the inside was lavishly gold painted. A sikh man ( the religion that wears turbans) gave us a tour of the whole place. This seemed to be special treatment. He told us about how people worship the book similar to the bible. Their religion is monotheistic unlike Hinduism. They also showed us an absolutely huge bathing pool inside the grounds and a kitchen that serves thousands and thousands of people a day. It was amazing to see the amount of goodwill this religion has for their fellow people.

At lunch John was telling us about his family and helping me with my Hindu. I have discovered that google translate is completely wrong. The words they have are Muslim instead of Hindi and very outdated. John was helping me learn how to pronounce some things and wrote some Hindi in my journal for me. It's beautiful to look at, I wonder if I'll ever understand it.

It is hard not to be scared with the driving here because there are absolutely no rules. And people honk their horns like crazy. I haven't figure out exactly what it signals, but I believe it's a warning to the person ahead that someone is behind them.
We saw a young girl about 5 yrs old tightrope walking with a large stick and pot on her head, over a huge pile of hot coals. Cool to see what is entertainment here besides cricket and Bollywood.
The danger of the electrical wire situation is actually very present. A young boy died in Delhi by stepping on an exposed wire in a pothole. This is somewhat shocking to a person from America where safety regulations regarding electricity are so strict.

The food keeps on being delicious. I could see myself becoming obese here. There are so many flavors! Yesterday I had the famous butter chicken and garlic naan. I had mutton spice kebabs last night. After dinner we always are presented with sugar chunks and fennel for fresh breath, it tastes like licorice.




2 comments:

  1. you're making me miss india!! looks like you are getting some of the best experiences they have to offer! dont let the shopkeepers fool you, their merchandise isnt nearly as expensive as they say it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was definitely scammed, but I think I know better now not to fall for their traps! Other than the shopping, everything here has been incredible!

    ReplyDelete